Thursday, February 5, 2009

No Time to Relax


While the Red Ape Retreat's name implies somewhere to take refuge and contemplate, perhaps in the sanctuary of a tall lush tree with a large bowl-shaped nest with an accompanying vegetative umbrella, sadly my current lifestyle does not allow it. It is my choice to be sure. I am putting a tremendous amount of responsibility on myself for my passion to save orangutans through the development and maintenance of organizations like the Orang Utan Republik Foundation, the Education Initiative, Caring Clubs, YES Orangutans... and the projects and programs that they implement: Scholarships, fellowships, outreach programs, documentaries, Roadshows, websites, newsletters. Then there is the matter of keeping the programs legal, funded, and accountable. The coordination, meetings, emails, developing proposals, report writing, keeping people interested. I could go on but why? It would sound like complaining which I am not. It is part of the duty and sacrifice of doing this type of work. I stay optimistic it will pay off.

My goal is to strike a balance between this passion, my paying job (working for the State), and my family. For too long they have suffered, but now with balance, I am pacing myself better and putting family first.

The cycle begins again tomorrow...there is no time to relax. But I keep thinking about the nest in the trees.

No comments: